From now on, we will require somebody to volunteer to serve as a “champion” for each game that we select. The champion can be any club member: moderators can serve as champions, but other club members are also strongly encouraged to serve in this role. If multiple people express interest, they can serve as co-champions for a game.
The champion’s responsibility is to help the club get as much out of the game as possible. Specifically, the champion must:
- Commit to playing through the entire game.
- Play through the game publicly at a moderate pace, so other participants don’t feel left behind.
- Help everybody see the good side of the game. We don’t expect discussion to avoid aspects of the game that we think, with the benefit of hindsight, could be done better; but one of the champion’s roles is to make sure that the discussion doesn’t focus on that negativity, to help remind us why we chose the game in the first place.
- Generate a starter set of threads as appropriate.
- Staff a “help thread” for people who get stuck.
- Report problematic behavior to the moderators.
If they wish, champions can also volunteer to collect highlights of the discussion for posting elsewhere; Critical Distance has volunteered to host such collections.